~Tina~'s Reviews > Croak

Croak by Gina Damico

May 30, 12

bookshelves: lib, young-adult, read-2012, paranormal
Read from May 26 to 30, 2012

If anyone is in badly need of an attitude adjustment it would have to be Lexington Bartleby, just ask half the schools victims population. As a last resort Lex's parents decided for her own good to spend some quality time with Uncle Mort at his fun farm for the summer. Little does Lex know it's anything but fun or a farm for that matter.
See, Uncle Mort has a very different profession, he well, kills people.

Croak is one of those really great gems that makes this such a Tina book. Lets start with the town itself. It might as well be it's own character. From the Bank to the pub to Uncle Mort's house, everything is done with such fun imagination. I haven't read many grim-reaper type books, but I thought this was pretty unique and I loved learning more about it within each chapter. But my favorite quality about this book is the serious amount of snarkcasm that came from Lex, Uncle Mort and Driggs. This book is chalked filled with some great whopping zingers and comebacks. I found myself laughing out loud more then once and it was such a blast to see what these three would say next.

I love the way Gina Damico writes, it's intelligent and sharp.
The plot line was so very intriguing but it was also kinda borderline depressing. I think it was my fault since I read the majority of this novel in one sitting, but this book is truly all about death. Death is what everyone talks about. It's their job, I get that, but I think it could have been broken up a little with some romance which was the one thing lacking. It didn't drag exactly, but there is only so many dead bodies and death talk I could stomach before it started to bummed me out.
There is also very little romance in this book, but there is a love interest. Right characters, good chemistry but it didn't deliver anything close to what a sap like me was hoping for. I'm hoping this will be remedied in the next book.
The ending had a good twist. It was sad, but I never suspected who the Crasher could be, so I was shocked when I realized who it was.

All in all, I had a great time with this book. It has a a couple of flaws but it also has tons of promise. Great spunk, great sparks and such a fun fun concept. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what happens in the next book.
Me gotz some high hopes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Croak.

05/29/2012 page 36
12.0% "Already loving Uncle Mort!!" 1 comment

message 1: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal I am very curious about this one! I can't wait to see your review =)

~Tina~ It has some good and bad reviews so I'm hoping I like it. The story sounds interesting. I'll keep you updated:)

message 3: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy I just can't decide about this one.... to read or not to read??? Your review is swaying me toward the read side :)

~Tina~ I think you'd like this hun. It's fun and so freaken funny, but try to get it at your library first. I'm gonna have to pick up a copy for myself just so I can re-read the banter lol

message 5: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy I just got a HUGE load today from the library.... I will have to remember to look for it next time :)

~Tina~ Me too. I just brought back a bunch and got 5 more. But I never remember what books I want which is why I have a lib shelf on here. That way I can order the next ones.
I hope you enjoy this when ever you do read it. I'm curious what you'll think of it:)

message 7: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal Okay I am sold! Great review Tina!

~Tina~ Thanks Crystal!:)

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber Great review, Tina! I'll think on this one :)

~Tina~ Thanks Amber!:) I hope you enjoy it:)