Shaz Goodwin's Reviews > The Queen's Secret

The Queen's Secret by Victoria Lamb

Feb 10, 12

Read from January 20 to 23, 2012

I have spent a couple of days journeying through the summer of 1575. The majority of the story is set at Kenilworth Castle and I just loved the descriptions of the different parts of the castle. The author creates this world in such a way that it’s easy to be there alongside the characters. When Lettice looks out of the apartment window to see the time on the clock – I looked out with her and remembered Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester, had stopped it so that the Queen’s time there was symbolic of living outside of time itself.

The entertainment that the Earl of Leicester lays on from the very beginning has a purpose behind it – symbols of his desire to marry Elizabeth. These are all so very cleverly crafted and all relevant to the time in which they’re set. He is so devious I was never quite sure where his heart truly lay although of course the ultimate prize would be to rule beside Elizabeth, which may not have anything to do with love at all! I did feel extremely sorry for Lettice. At one point it is so clear how frustrating it was at that time in history to have your own home and children but having to please the Queen and her whims instead of living your life.

Elizabeth herself was a character I believed in. As a reader I could feel her wavering thoughts about whether she should accept the Earl’s proposal or not – being swayed by her feelings one moment and then at other times total refusal when her thoughts turned to how safe her crown would be. The perceptions of herself as having to be careful not to be seen as having the same predisposition as her father is also a part of her character. It is easy to identify with her as a woman as well as a ruler.

Lucy Morgan is a brilliant character. Used by the Queen and the Earl as a spy, her anxieties could be clearly felt. She is a heroine that acts without thinking. In the Author’s Note at the end of the book we find out that Lucy Morgan did exist and as part of the Queen’s attendants. I think there is more to ‘tell’ about Lucy’s life and would love the author to write another story that includes her!

The plotting and espionage intrigued me and I enjoyed how everything tied up, despite the sadness I felt for one of the characters.

It was great to see Will Shakespeare make an appearance and also John Dee mentioned.

And what about the Queen’s secret? It does have a bearing on her decision. You’ll have to read the book to find out what it is …

This is a story about Elizabeth’s ‘progress’ away from court for the summer of 1575. There is familial love, romance, deceit, espionage, intrigue and mortal danger.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Secret.

01/21/2012 page 97
24.0% "phew it's hot in the summer in 1575, glad to be at Kenilworth Castle :)"
01/22/2012 "249"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria Lamb How exciting! My first reader on Goodreads?

Shaz Goodwin Oooh that's exciting!