Sam's Reviews > Wanderlove

Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard

Feb 13, 2012

bookshelves: e-galley, arc, amazing-loved-it, book-with-gorgeous-boy, e-book, obsessed, will-buy-the-book
Read from January 14 to February 12, 2012

Read more of my reviews at Falling Books!

Exciting and fun. A wonderful adventure that you will love.

Synopsis:It all begins with a stupid question: Are you a Global Vagabond?

No, but 18-year-old Bria Sandoval wants to be. In a quest for independence, her neglected art, and no-strings-attached hookups, she signs up for a guided tour of Central America—the wrong one. Middle-aged tourists with fanny packs are hardly the key to self-rediscovery. When Bria meets Rowan, devoted backpacker and dive instructor, and his outspokenly humanitarian sister Starling, she seizes the chance to ditch her group and join them off the beaten path.

Bria's a good girl trying to go bad. Rowan's a bad boy trying to stay good. As they travel across a panorama of Mayan villages, remote Belizean islands, and hostels plagued with jungle beasties, they discover what they've got in common: both seek to leave behind the old versions of themselves. And the secret to escaping the past, Rowan’s found, is to keep moving forward.

But Bria comes to realize she can't run forever, no matter what Rowan says. If she ever wants the courage to fall for someone worthwhile, she has to start looking back.

Wanderlove is a beautiful story, told from the point of view of a young girl, Bria. She longs for a journey, to set her art free. The art that has been trapped inside of her for so long. The art that a boy ruined, but another can fix.

Bria travels to central America, in hope that she'll have a good summer before starting college. But she is irresistibly drawn to a drop-dead gorgeous backpacker named Rowan. Bria foolishly agrees to meet up with him and ditches her tour group, but when she turns up at the place they agreed on...He isn't there (UH OH!). Starling, Rowan's beautiful half-sister, befriends Bria and informs her with the news that there are no more boats to reach her tour group. Bria feels lost and alone, stupid and idiotic. She regrets her decisions. She regrets coming on this trip. But Starling's invitation for Bria to join her and her brother on their backpack adventure is too hard to resist.

I simply fell in love with all the characters. Bria; an innocent 18 year old girl, who hasn't seen much of the world. She doesn't have much experience with boys; apart from Tony. The boy who ruined it all for her. The boy who took away her choices. After hearing about Tony, I really hated him for what he did to her, and I'm sure you all will too.

Rowan; Oh, damn. That boy has got me going crazy. He is a charming and secretive boy, who isn't comfortable about sharing information about his past. He prefers to get lost in books and ignore the world. I felt that when he met Bria, he was happy, and I knew that he was slowly falling for her. That's what I thought anyway. Their feelings towards each other were sometimes hard to understand, but under all the complicated situations, I saw that they were meant for each other. I was highly anticipating a kissing scene between the two, page after page I was thinking: KISS NOW! IT'S THE PERFECT MOMENT! COME ON!

Overall, Bria and Rowan are extremely enjoyable characters that you will fall in love with when you see their true colours. Moving on to the plot, I found that I was craving more beautiful scenes, like the lake in the first few chapters. Kirsten describes scenes in such a detailed way, you can clearly picture them in your head. There were some pretty emotional scenes aswell, which will get you thinking about certain people; Will they ever leave me? Are they two faced? Do they actually like me? Can I REALLY trust them?

This book will make you doubt your trust, it will make you think of about the world you don't know; the world you've never seen. It will make you beleive that there is always a good side to people, it depends on how deep you look. Kirsten Hubbard has done a brilliant job at delivering you a story that won't leave you for a long time.

Reading this book.....You will find the cure to Wanderlove.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wanderlove.

Quotes Sam Liked

Kirsten Hubbard
“Envy is when you want what someone else has. Jealousy’s when you also don’t want them to have it.”
Kirsten Hubbard, Wanderlove

Kirsten Hubbard
“What you love the most is what you have to fight the hardest to keep.”
Kirsten Hubbard, Wanderlove

01/26/2012 page 1
0.0% "I started reading and got bored"
02/12/2012 page 18
5.0% "YAY! Finally got round to reading this! It's getting better."
02/12/2012 page 39
11.0% "Well, well, well, who's this? Dark blue eyes and tanned? I wanna know more."
02/12/2012 page 97
28.0% "Sigh, Rowan <3"
02/12/2012 page 256
73.0% "I can't stop reading"
02/12/2012 page 296