Beth G.'s Reviews > Ultimate Fitness: The Quest for Truth about Health and Exercise

Ultimate Fitness by Gina Kolata

Jan 13, 12

bookshelves: 2004, non-fiction, weight-loss, library-books, books-for-grown-ups
Read on January 01, 2004

Review from my old book log:

This was listed as the Book of the Month over at Lose the Buddha [which was a great blog, but is no longer available], and a quick look at the reviews led me to believe I might find it interesting. I found it fascinating. Kolata writes about the most popular myths around diet and exercise, mining out the grains of truth hidden inside the marketing hype. Personal experience is mixed with interviews with researchers throughout the book. Heart rates, runner's highs, and personal trainers are all discussed, as well as the history of fitness as a fad at various times in the last couple of centuries. Some of it can be a bit distressing, as when she cites research that shows that a small fraction of the population is truly unable to derive significant benefits from training, or when she shows how little a person really has to do (and how much he has to pay) to earn and maintain certification in personal training. The book is educational without being too academic, and those who are really interested can check out the articles cited in the notes at the end of the book.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultimate Fitness.