The Holy Terror's Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

2016128
Jan 13, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: will-never-read, think-about, terrible-writing, sounds-awful

If you can get past the "I'm smelling my armpit" cover, and also the silly names, and the horribly unoriginal storyline, and the terrible writing ... wait, really, you can get past all of that? What does that leave you then? A nice ... font?

Seriously, though, read reviews for this one. They're not favorable for a reason.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.

message 1: by The Holy Terror (last edited May 02, 2012 01:23PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

The Holy Terror Some people are just full of ass.

Whoops. I mean, class.

message 2: by Steph (new)

Steph Hahahaha. Another one bites the dust :(

Wendy Darling I'm so sick of this behavior. But I do find it hilarious that they think they can just discuss these things publicly and never be found out.

The Holy Terror How ... how do they not know this crap is public?

message 5: by Steph (new)

Steph Did Becca Fitzpatrick delete her blog post "Be Nice"? I'm trying to find it for reference for a friend but don't see it.

message 7: by Chibineko (new) - added it

Chibineko I've added this to my "never to read" shelf as well. I actually created that shelf just for this book

message 8: by AH (new) - added it

AH I never thought I'd need a Never going to read shelf, but I guess it's time to make one.

The Holy Terror AH wrote: "I never thought I'd need a Never going to read shelf, but I guess it's time to make one."

I know. It's a bit sad, isn't it?

message 10: by Chibineko (new) - added it

Chibineko It is, to be honest. While I can completely understand authors getting upset over negative reviews for their book(it is their baby after all), displaying those feelings in public isn't a good idea- especially from the author's agent.

message 11: by Caterina (new) - added it

Caterina Neko Well, actually I'm thinking of making a list for "never to read" just for it, after all I've read for the past half hour around here, too, but then again, I'm wondering if maybe I'll give too much credit to people that don't actually deserve it... :/

message 12: by Jay (new)

Jay Kristoff Ye gods. Not again?

The Holy Terror Jay wrote: "Ye gods. Not again?"

Again, and again, and again, and again ...

Ha, their plan couldn't have backfired more.

message 14: by Jay (new)

Jay Kristoff Blows my mind, THT. Seriously. The walls are wearing my brainmeats right now.

SubterraneanCatalyst All of the fanboys and fangirls of these type of authors trolling all over GR SUCK. Unfortunately this leads me to jump to certain conclusions such as, even if the YA authors and agents are misbehaving and acting immature and unprofessional it is certainly supported by their vastly immature zealot fan base.

The Holy Terror Cillian wrote: "In reality, who can get mad at someone so bright that she shot herself in the foot, and it seems that she still doesn't get it."

Is one of them still mouthing off, or are you just saying that in general?

The Holy Terror Ah, ok.

message 18: by Chibineko (new) - added it

Chibineko The Holy Terror wrote: What's hilarious is the review they were complaining about has almost 500 votes now. That review is going to be the top one for the life of the book, and it doesn't even come out until April.

Ha, their plan couldn't have backfired more.

And of course people are going to click in the thread to see why it got so many ratings and comments, then read about the whole kerfuffle. This is going to follow aroudn both of them for a long while. I remember reading a tweet by the agent where she said that she hadn't gotten an invitation to a literary cocktail event and it sounded like she wasn't quite sure why not. Part of me wanted to point her back to her previous tweets and say "You think that stuff like this might be why you and your agency isn't being taken seriously?" I'm going to guess that she does things similar to this all the time, this is just one of the instances that the general public actually got to witness.

message 19: by Nola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nola Never going to read shelf?! First, I've heard of this? Maybe I should create one too. Nah...I have a life.

message 20: by Steph (new)

Steph Oh look another account recently created just to say some snappy comment and then go away again. Neat.

SubterraneanCatalyst Cillian wrote: "Kiera is slowly building herself a podium in the sock puppet hall of fame.
How cute of her."

I think there is a pantheon here on GR of sock puppetry.

The Holy Terror She also gave Jane's book 1 star and then liked the 5-star reviews of the book Jane had give one star and had a small kerfluffle over at Dear Author. And I'm the one with no life? At least I don't dig around and try to be a sad little troll after everything has basically died down.

Melissa I am reading the book now, I was unaware of any of this. So as a reviewer I'm not putting any bias into it. I actually am enjoying the book. While it does mix the hunger games and the bachelor( both of which I secretly love). So far the book has pulled me in and I'm only stopping to add my 1/2 way review.

message 24: by The Holy Terror (last edited Mar 22, 2012 07:50PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

The Holy Terror Melissa wrote: "I am reading the book now, I was unaware of any of this. So as a reviewer I'm not putting any bias into it. I actually am enjoying the book. While it does mix the hunger games and the bachelor( both of which I secretly love). So far the book has pulled me in and I'm only stopping to add my 1/2 way review."

Good for you. Your review space is over here.

message 25: by AH (new) - added it

AH Cillian wrote: "Remind me why is Melissa stopping here to post her semi-review?
Didn't she post it on her review space?

Imposing, are we?"

I just don't get it. Everyone gets their own review space.

message 26: by Ðɑηηɑ (new) - added it

Ðɑηηɑ a new shelf... LOL :):)

message 27: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer Oh I like the new shelf.

message 28: by Petra Eggs (new)

Petra Eggs Love Foot in Mouth. I might have to have a shelf named that too.

message 29: by Raquel (new) - added it

Raquel This probably is a huge mistake but I'm going to give it a try on the basis that a character is called Maxon.

The Holy Terror I think there are much better uses for your time.

Like, read any other book.

Or watch the grass grow.

Or count how any stars are in the sky.

Or really, read anything else. Like, junk mail. Or spam. Or the phone book.

Seriously, there are millions of other books out there and I'm sure you have something else you could pick up instead.

message 31: by Raquel (new) - added it

Raquel Haha you've made yourself quite clear. I guess I'm going to avoid this as if it were Pandora's box. I realize how dumb it is to just read a book because of a character's name. xD Life's too short, eh. :)

Ryanne LOL that does sum up the cover :)

Evelyn Looi Elena Roth and Kiera Cass are really shallow and insecure people WHO just can't handle people's reviews. WHAT A SHAME!

message 34: by Nana (new) - rated it 1 star

Nana Lola exactly my though when reading the " i loved it" reviews LOL

Samantha Clare I liked how you wrote your brief review. It really is one of those books you either worship or despise. I found myself to really enjoy it (I am breezing trough the 3rd book as of now), so I guess it really depends on the eye of the beholder.

Eliza Ok, I'll admit, you "haters" or "nay sayers" are persuasive. But, I mean, for someone with no actual romance in her life, something like this book is something from a dream. Everyone girl wants a prince. (Mostly.) And who wouldn't want to go to partake in a "lottery" for a chance to woo a prince, and then get PAID for it. I mean, I would take that chance...

message 37: by Maryammhawas (new) - added it

Maryammhawas Honestly?? I think this book rocks and how the hell is the storyline is not original?