Bonnie Fazio's Reviews > The Crabby Cook Cookbook: Recipes and Rants

The Crabby Cook Cookbook by Jessica Harper

Aug 02, 14

bookshelves: cookbooks, celebrity-first-person, hilarity-may-ensue, true-story
Read in January, 2012

I've rarely met a cookbook I didn't want to own, and my husband gave me several for Christmas; this was one of them. It is a spin on "The I Hate to Cook Book" by the late, great Peg Bracken. John didn't make the thematic connection, but rightly guessed that I would enjoy this book.

It doesn't have the vintage element (which, for me, is part of the charm of Bracken's books), but it is amusing and well-written, and offers lots of easy-but-yummy-sounding recipes. The few I've tried so far have yielded tasty results and haven't been difficult. I did read the book cover to cover (not something I do with every cookbook).

The author is a pretty famous actress or (as she describes herself) former actress ("Suspiria," "My Favorite Year" and "Love and Death" are a few of the many films she's acted in). Being a movie lover and perpetually starstruck, I was pleased to learn that. (I KNEW the cover photo looked familiar). Harper also writes an interesting blog, into which I've thus far only briefly delved, and has recorded some albums.

Recommended for cooks, reluctant cooks, Peg Bracken fans, Jessica Harper fans and probably a bunch of other people too.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crabby Cook Cookbook.