Chris's Reviews > The Temporary Wife

The Temporary Wife by Mary Balogh

After three and a half hours of reading this sweet, emotional and without a doubt, a heart warming novel by Mary Balogh... I'm mesmerized and enthralled once again with her witty stories.

I can't put the book down! I love how she webbed in a 200+ pages the twists and turns, and played it gracefully in a mellow and enchanting pace. I thought, with the length of the book, I will be disappointed but I still give it a try...and oh what luck I have to rummage on some old treasure box. I adored her heroine, Charity Duncan for her guts and witty and for also being a giver. A heroine that will surely can catch any mans heart.

It being not quite the thing to advertise in the London papers for a wife, Anthony Earheart ,Marquess of Staunton, eldest son and heir of the Duke of Withingsby , advertised instead for a governess.

Set around during regency era, positions and wealth was still a firm standards of the ton. Charity Duncan cannot escape the prejudicial mindset and ill tried to find a suitable job for the sake of her in-debt family. Her luck began on her 7th attempt to be a governess to Anthony Earheart's children...And thus, her life change irrevocably from then on.

With only small belongings, her morals, dignity and her pride. She was set to aflame the heart of Anthony in his lair, the Enfield. With a mind set only for revenge and hatred, they'll be take aback with their strong attraction to each other because neither of them were ready for a roller coaster fast ride of their emotions.

The book was definitely 'for keeps.' Recommended for those who admired sweet, innocent Cinderella love story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Temporary Wife.

Quotes Chris Liked

Mary Balogh
“Life is a precious possession...It is what one makes of it. - Charity Duncan”
tags: hope, life, love

Mary Balogh
“Tonight he would do anything in the world for her.
Tomorrow he would begin to set her free.”

Mary Balogh
“And I need you, my love," he said. "I need you so much that I panic when I think that perhaps I will not be able to persuade you to come back with me to Enfield. I need you so much that I cannot quite contemplate the rest of my life if it must be lived without you. I need you so much that—Well, the words speak for themselves. I need you."

"To look after Augusta?" she said. She dared not hear what he was surely saying. She dared not hope. "To look after Enfield? To provide you with an heir?"

"Yes," he said, and her heart sank like a stone to be squashed somewhere between her slippers and the parlor carpet."And to be my friend and my confidant and my comfort. And to be my lover.”
tags: love, need

Mary Balogh
“You really love me?" she asked wistfully.

"The devil!" he exclaimed, looking over his shoulder. "Did I forget to say it? The thing I came to say?”
Mary Balogh, The Temporary Wife

01/13/2012 "The heroine has the guts. lol. I love her sense of humor and best of all, her courage."

dateDown_arrow    newest »