Tony's Reviews > Damned

Damned by Chuck Palahniuk

M_50x66
Jan 13, 12

Read in January, 2012

I read some reviews on this book before I started it and there were some bad ones. People were upset and were claiming that Chuck is losing it. Claiming Fight Club and his older books blew this one out of the water. The problem here is that although Palahniuk has more or less the same style of writing for every book he is able to bring you into them no matter what the plot is. I disregarded those reviews because since he is one of my top 3 favorite authors he can do no wrong..well.. sometimes he can (see Tell All). Damned to me was a very creatively designed masterpiece. It's based around a young girls who passed away (from a really awkward death by the way) and is banished to hell. From that point on it starts slightly morphing into a Dante's Inferno. Only this Dante's Inferno is through someone on numerous methamphetamines. The different things she sees and people she meets and acts that she actually does while in hell are incredibly well described and you can actually picture it. Palahniuk has a way of kneading your imagination so that you could actually feel like a character in his books sometimes. Some lines are repetitive but it doesn't even bother you because the rest of it is good. I laughed a good amount at what he came up with as different landscapes and tortures in his hell (one even being a job as a telemarketer that calls people right when they are about to sit down for dinner). I really enjoyed the book as I usually do with his writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Damned.