Viridian5's Reviews > Legacy of Kings

Jan 20, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read from January 13 to 17, 2012

In C.S. Friedman's Legacy of Kings, the conclusion to her Magister Trilogy, the Souleaters have become such a major threat that former enemies are considering becoming allies to end it. Can Salvator reconcile his Penitent faith with the people and powers he might have to work with to save the world from the Souleaters? (Also, is it possible the Souleaters are part of God's plan and he shouldn't get in their way?) Can the Magisters set aside their selfishness and all-consuming urge to protect themselves so they can help out? Can Kamala work with all these people without revealing what she is and thus putting her life on the line with her new allies?

Legacy of Kings is a good, fast, page-turning read, but I had some problems with it:

There's a last-second, out of the blue revelation about a character we were previously led to be sympathetic about that was so last-second and out of the blue that it didn't have the effect on this reader that I think Friedman was going for. I shouldn't be surprised, since Friedman has a history of being willing to drag through the mud and dump on characters in ways that don't always feel fair. (I'm still angry over what she did to the character I liked most in Black Sun Rising.)

One major threat was resolved so suddenly and easily that I was left somewhat incredulous. The reader figures out the Magister's deepest secret long before it's officially revealed. Kamala's love interest in this novel didn't feel as real as what she had with Rhys in Wings of Wrath, and after all the time spent on Gwynofar in Wings I was disappointed in how little face time she had here.

That said, Salvator continues his character growth and the Souleater and Kamala's status are tied up.

I liked the book and would recommend it, even if it didn't completely satisfy me.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legacy of Kings.

01/13/2012 page 80