Elizabeth's Reviews > The Story of Martha Myers

The Story of Martha Myers by Barbara Joiner

Jan 13, 12

bookshelves: faith, world-travel
Read from January 11 to 12, 2012

this book was featured in the WMU magazine.
Very engaging and inspiring. The early life part was rather dry but once friends and coworkers start telling stories of Dr. Martha in Yemen it was a page turner. What a women who gave it all for Christ and truly counted it as joy! Very convicting to examine what I am doing with my life (it was noted by several people that Martha totally fit Paul's description of devoting life to Christ as a single).
One passage:
if it is ever proper to describe someone as generous to a fault, it was Martha. If she saw someone in need, she had no hesitation in giving money. others sometimes saw her as being taken in, but she knew very well that there is nothing in scripture warning us to be overcareful not to be duped. I have been constantly amazed, all my life, at the reasons Christians give for not giving money when there is an obvious need. no doubt there are 'rice Christians' out there, but most people are unscripturally frightened of giving them a red cent. I believe that all too often this leads to a habitually holy parsimony that is quite disgraceful.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Martha Myers.