Zach's Reviews > The Case for Christ

The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel

Jan 13, 12

Read in January, 2012

Intellectual dishonesty could not be applied enough to this book. It does not take any sort of academic degree to see huge holes in this guy's logic or presentation.

First, it's totally dishonest to portray your journey as part of an investigation and then only interview one side. Atheist and other secular arguments are sometimes presented, but always within the span of a sentence or two, all of their substance ripped out and replaced with straw. While you might expect to encounter at least the TONE of someone trying to remove bias, Strobel is clearly biased towards his friends the theologians and boasts their accomplishments, their personalities, and through all of this seems to expect his rose-tinted glasses will fall on you as well.

It also fails to portray the bible correctly. Never does the bible claim Jesus appeared to Paul physically. It was definitely a spiritual/psychological experience that happens on the road to Damascus.

The best indirect rebuttal (that is, the place to go to that doesn't address Strobel but addresses the claims in this book) is undoubtedly Dan Barker's Godless. Simply put, I have already wasted too much time read this book, and I shall spend no more time reviewing it.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Case for Christ.

Namet Invenit Atheists do the same thing you accuse Lee of doing, only worse. His objective was to make HIS case not others. You can argue his interpretations but his bias is the whole point of the book.

Scott Rachui Zach, I hear people say "this book has flawed logic" all the time. And yet no one seems able to give an example of where the logical flaw is...care to actually provide examples instead of vague generalizations?

message 3: by Zach (new) - rated it 1 star

Zach Scott wrote: "Zach, I hear people say "this book has flawed logic" all the time. And yet no one seems able to give an example of where the logical flaw is...care to actually provide examples instead of vague ge..."

No. I read this book and wrote this review a year and a half ago. I rarely return to books given the HUGE number of books that lay before me unread. If I were to point out what I think the book's major flaw was, it was that some of his assumptions are ideas not generally accepted within theological circles, and he presents arguments even Christians do not think are sound.

Look, I'm not an atheist through and through, I personally don't think he wrote this book to convert people, but to make money patting the backs of people who doubt their own faith. That's harsh, but I can think of a thousand better ways to try and convince people to consider theism.