Eris's Reviews > Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art

Sacré Bleu by Christopher Moore

Feb 11, 2012

Read from January 13 to 25, 2012

There are those who love Christopher Moore for his bizarre, irreverent and slicing wit. There are those who love him for his ability to create portals into absurd realities, and his ability to make those absurd realities seem almost plausible. For the first group - this book is not for you. For the second set - you're gonna love it.

There are slices of Moore's strange humor throughout, but this book leans more heavily towards a fusion of fantasy, historical fiction and satire. The tale begins with strange humor, but by the middle you find that you have been pulled into France and are drinking absinthe with Lautrec. A good read, quite an unpredictable ride for the most part, and full of bits of history.

I don't think the "Bite Me" crowd will find this one much fun, but if you enjoyed the meld of history, commentary and humor of books like Lamb then you will enjoy this work.
32 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacré Bleu.

02/20 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 7: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen I find this one to be more along the vein of "Fool" which I liked a great deal because of my Shakespeare obsession. I am looking forward to getting deeper into this one!

Maggi Shelbourn I am finding that this book is growing on me as I continue to read. I enjoyed "Lamb" and "Fool" because of the historical aspect of both books. I am being drawn into Paris and the art world of the time. This is not my favorite Christopher Moore book, but I enjoying the read.

message 5: by Gary (new)

Gary Horwood Wow you hit the nail, upon the head, and driven it right to the core.

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary Horwood I am the first group. but I have also studied Art history, and Louie was more drunk than sober, his shaking hand added to the art

message 3: by Gary (new)

Gary Horwood He hung around slum clubs, painting girls of ill repute, good job Louie. I should stick my neck in there. If I have the nerve.

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary Horwood Henri Lautrec, his friends called him Louie.

Mila You capture Moore so well with "Portals into absurd realities". I love it!