John's Reviews > The Berlin Stories: The Last of Mr Norris/Goodbye to Berlin

The Berlin Stories by Christopher Isherwood

M 50x66
Jan 13, 12

Read in January, 2012

I enjoyed both both stories. As with most readers, I think Goodbye to Berlin was better than The Last of Mr. Norris (which I read after The Berlin Stories). I read The Berlin Stories shortly after In the Garden of the Beasts and was hoping to get more color on Berlin during the late Weimar and early Nazi era. I think Isherwood is very good on character description and provides a sense of the living conditions his characters experienced. However, I was hoping for more on the politics of the era. This says more about my interests than what Isherwood set out to write about.

His narrator (it was essentially the same character in both stories) mentioned his communist sympathies (and even tranlated some documents for the party) but never told why he felt that way nor indicated why he favored the communists over the socialists. Again, I shouldn't be too critical in this respect because I think Isherwood was more interested in the private lives of this characters rather than their political views.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Berlin Stories.