Nicci's Reviews > Kill Me Softly

Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross

Jan 13, 2012

liked it
Read from April 17 to 18, 2012

What do you get when you mix a stunningly gorgeous cover and a retelling of not only my favorite fairy tale, but a ton of different fairy tales combined? An amazing story, no? Well, that is what I was expecting, but, unfortunately, I found that Kill Me Softly did not quite meet my expectations.

Mira was a fun character at the start. She had guts, drive, and the elements of interesting backstory. As the story goes on, however, she shows some traits that I really disliked. Then we meet Blue. Blue is the only thing that I fell head-over-heels in love with. I absolutely adore this boy. He is slightly angsty, has a a protective streak a milewide, and is really just the sweetest guy. Unfortunately with Blue comes Felix. Felix is pretty much the opposite of Blue in every single way possible, and ultimately he just is creepy. The other friends that Mira makes while in Beau Rivage are also fantastically interesting. I loved the representations of all the various fairy tale characters, especially Viv, Henley, and Layla.

The premise of this story was compelling, and it’s rather reminscent of Once Upon a Time (which I adore). Unfortunately, it comes with a severe case of insta-love, and stupidity on the part of Mira. I hated the ridiculous relationship between Mira and Felix. It made very little sense, and their was no depth to back up Mira’s obsession dedication to him. The relationship between the two of them really ruined the book for me. Otherwise, I think I would have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Overall, this book was very disappointing for me. I wanted so badly to fall in love with it, but it just did not do it. While I probably would not recommend this, I still would be curious to read any sequels, especially if they were to focus on one of the other awesome fairy tale characters that appeared in this. I think there is potential for some great writing from Sarah Cross, but I feel as if the relationship development and the maturity levels of her characters could use some work. I will say, however, that it might be worth it to read this book just for Blue alone. He really is that awesome!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kill Me Softly.