Madeleine Haltorp's Reviews > Red Seas Under Red Skies

Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch

F_50x66
Jan 13, 12

bookshelves: low-fantasy
Recommended for: Fellow role-players, someone who is into complex plots, just about any fan of well-written books
Read from September 24 to 26, 2008 — I own a copy, read count: >6

A geographically and thematically precise story, humouristic and dark in one. There is suspense and well-written dialogue; an intricately woven, constantly changing plot with several layers; lovable characters equipped with personalities, quirks and interesting back-stories; rich descriptions of the setting that manage to keep the reader's interest up, and nothing is what you expect it to be.
I found it to be even better than The Lies of Locke Lamora, perhaps because it feels like I have got to know the protagonist in his own right by now, and yet there is a lot left to discover about him. Another notion which contributes to my fascination for this book, is the fact that we follow two story-lines simultaneously; one outlining the events directly succeeding Lies, the other depicting the events of "present-time". This makes it feel very well organized, while still being tricky to keep straight at times; I understood what was going on somewhat better during my second read, when I was reading at a slower pace. The final detail which settles the five stars, is another reference to Final Fantasy VI, which I won't reveal.
Out of all my books, this is the only volume I keep by my side at all times. I daresay it has surpassed all the Harry Potter-books in terms of favourites.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Seas Under Red Skies.