Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Artistic San Francisco

Artistic San Francisco by James A. Ganz

Feb 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: art, non-fiction, san-francisco, reviewed
Read from January 17 to February 01, 2012

Well, some of the prints are so lovely and reading and viewing this book was a lovely way to spend some time. But there are such a scanty number of paintings/photos/prints. The book felt somewhat satisfying when simply enjoying each art piece. But looked at as a representative of art created in and about San Francisco over the years, it feels wholly inadequate.

I saw the museum exhibit and was very disappointed. One room, not much art. The book looked as though more art works were included so I borrowed it from the library, and I’m glad I did. It contains some beautiful art and some interesting information, but I’d rather have read a book a bit more comprehensive. I kept thinking of all the art that wasn’t included, including works by certain artists I enjoy more than the ones in the book. I did like this though and found myself basking in certain images on the pages.

I’m not sure I’d recommend this though, even though it contains so much wonderful art. There is just not enough to this book, not even as a coffee table book.

3 ½ stars because of the pleasure I derived from the art and because I learned a little bit.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artistic San Francisco.

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Cool!

Lisa Vegan Kathryn wrote: "Cool!"

The exhibit at the Legion of Honor is really small and mediocre but I think this book has more artwork than the exhibit does. I love finding books I can put on my san-francisco shelf!

Lori I actually saw all the art in the exhibit. I agree it's way too short, but it's better than nothing.

Lisa Vegan Lori wrote: "I actually saw all the art in the exhibit. I agree it's way too short, but it's better than nothing."

I suppose. There is just so much more, much of it already housed in local museums.

Lisa Vegan Lori, I love your avatar!

message 6: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I saw the museum exhibit and was very disappointed. One room, not much art.

I've felt this way about several of the temporary shows in the past few years -- lots of hype, not much art. Have you seen the "Cult of Beauty" exhibition? It sounds really good but I don't want to go all the way to San Francisco and be disappointed.

Lisa Vegan Miriam, I have not seen the Cult of Beauty show and I don't know if I will. If I see it, I'll pm you and let you know what I thought. But it's likely I won't see it. But I might. I haven't been getting to the museums as often as I'd like.