Laura Nash's Reviews > The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic - and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World

The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson

F 50x66
Jul 02, 2008

bookshelves: own, non-fiction
Recommended for: people who like true life mysteries, history novels, or science.
Read in January, 2006

Okay, so this book might be getting five stars principally because I was interested in the topic beforehand-- in eighth grade I actually wrote The Ballad of John Snow for a project on famous scientific breakthroughs. But still, this book was a fantastic read. If you liked the book The Professor and the Madmen, this novel has similar detailed insights into the streets of Victorian London. The case is turned into a detective mystery of sorts, and real people come to life in the hospital cases. There are tons of facts that I still remember-- like the workers in a brewery were all spared from the epidemic, because they got free booze at work. Yes, the ending does get a little bit Wired Magazine on you, but overall the book is an excellent melding of history and science. What's not to like?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost Map.