Leslie's Reviews > Gabriel's Inferno

Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard

Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: steamy, romance
Read from January 13 to 19, 2012

When I discovered that the author of this book was a man, I was intrigued and extremely curious to see how his view of romance differed from that of a woman's perspective. (This'll be interesting, right?)

The writing was well executed, although surprised me when at times, teetered on "sappy." (Yes, a guy wrote this!) I also have to mention the fact that the hero in this book, "Gabriel Emerson," was so much like the hero in "Fifty Shades of Grey," it was distracting. No, Gabriel's love making preferences were NOTHING like FSOG's character, "Christian Grey," although his need to control Julia, i.e., what she ate, if she had enough sleep, and how she took care of herself was unwelcomely similar. Not to mention the similarities of their respective heroines; each were "lip biting," 20 something virgins, with no money and both desperately in love with rich, highly connected men. (Really?...Again??)

Honestly, I nearly omitted referencing the similarities between these two books, however, they impacted my reading experience greatly. Although, I did enjoy parts of this book! The storyline and characters were well developed and the author was very clever in how he unfolded the history of both main characters. I was equally appreciative and impressed by the history lesson I received regarding the 13th century Italian love story of Dante and Beatrice. In addition, the author made many references to a wide range of lovely music, (of which several I own; music major dork that I am!)

Bottom line: if you enjoy cranky ALPHA-male romance novels with a history lesson, I highly recommend this book. Although again, the similarities of both books impacted my rating and enjoyment level...
20 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gabriel's Inferno.

01/13/2012 page 15

Comments (showing 1-16)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 16: by Jill (last edited Feb 19, 2012 07:56PM) (new)

Jill Well said Leslie! I agree with what you've said. And again, I was surprised a man wrote this. I actually went and did a search halfway through GI of SR as I had suspected he was a she.

Leslie Thanks, Jill! I had my doubts about the author's gender myself! Ha! Btw, what did you think of 50 Shades?

message 14: by Jill (new)

Jill Oh, 50 well...it was a dnf for me. I see you've given it 5 stars, but I thought the writing wasn't good and the heroine very immature. Plus, bdsm is just not my cuppa.

Leslie I understand, trust me! It's certainly not for everyone! I was facinated by the contents of the book at first, but then I eventually liked both characters. Yes, Ana was immature to say the least. She drove me nuts several times! It's interesting how we all differ on books, aye? I love hearing why people do or don't like a book I liked...the discussion alone is why I love having friends on GR and all it has to offer! :)

Karla if you enjoy cranky ALPHA-male romance novels with a history lesson

His attitude and the constant references to history got a bit repetitive for me, other than that it was a pretty good read. I hadn't read 50 at the time, but I can see where there might be some similarities. Nice review Leslie!

Leslie Karla wrote: "if you enjoy cranky ALPHA-male romance novels with a history lesson

Thanks, Karla! Yes, I did enjoy many things about this book...it just seemed like too much of the same formula...over and over!

~ Becs ~ Great review Leslie. I haven't read this one but it is on my to read pile, if I ever get around to it.

Leslie Becs wrote: "Great review Leslie. I haven't read this one but it is on my to read pile, if I ever get around to it."

Thanks, Becs! It's good...you should enjoy it! :)

message 8: by Farah (new)

Farah The reason for the similarities in both books are they both were originally Twilight FanFiction. Dante's Inferno a.k.a University of Edward Masen and 50 Shades a.k.a Master of The Universe.

message 7: by Leslie (last edited Apr 11, 2012 06:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leslie Farah wrote: "The reason for the similarities in both books are they both were originally Twilight FanFiction. Dante's Inferno a.k.a University of Edward Masen and 50 Shades a.k.a Master of The Universe."

Oh, Farah, I'm painfully aware of the fanfic aspect. You're very correct!! Although, you'd think they'd figure out that their formula wasn't original! ;)

Daphne How exactly does fan fiction work? I confess to being confused on this whole medium. Do the authors not worry their work could be taken by another person? Do people just want to sit around and write stories that are a knock off of someone else's? If anyone understand this whole genre could they please enlighten me! Thanks!

Leslie Daphne: The way I understand it - "fan-fic" started years ago, (I'd say about 5) right after the Twilight books came out. There were readers who wanted more than the "fade to black" (YA) version Meyers included in her Edward and Bella scenes...so, these writers took off from there. Eventually, it turned into this huge writing frenzy amoungst several writers, many of whom are very good! They would use the same "formula" as in Twilight, i.e., Alpha-male obssessed with virginal younger female; who also happens to "like" someone else as well, (Jacob), and there you have at. (Love triangle, so to speak.) All these stories started to evolve and then the "formula " mutated to include completely different people, ages, and genres. Does that make sense?? (Thanks for the friend invite!)

Daphne Thank you so much for explaining it to me! I will have to check it out and see what I can find! I enjoyed your review of GI!

Leslie You're quite welcome, Daphne and thanks! :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Leslie Marielena wrote: "Totally agree with leslie plus Julia is way more dumb than Anna from FSOG so this obviously was written by a man"

Marielena, you made me laugh. :D