Sara's Reviews > Time Cat

Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander

Jan 14, 12

it was ok
Read from January 13 to 14, 2012

So I was bored at work one day and didn't have my book in tow - so I pulled this off the student bookshelves and started reading it. You can do that with this novel - read it with breaks in between. And that was the biggest problem I had with this book.

You have a boy, Jason, and his cat, Gareth, and throughout the entire thing you end up with no sense whatsoever of either's personality. One day Jason asks his cat if he has nine lives, and instead of acting shocked when the cat responds, there is a blink and they are off on their historical journeys. (In answer to the question - the cat does not have nine lives, instead Gareth can visit nine different lives in any country and at any time). You journey through Egypt, Rome, Japan, Italy, Peru, the Isle of Man, Germany, and America and each trip is too brief for my liking and not full of enough historical information. I do see however, where this novel might be a good introduction type of history book for juvenile readers, but it lacked charm where it should have been chock full of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Cat.

01/14/2012 page 94