Heatheraine's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Jan 13, 12

Read in January, 2012

I opened this book, anticipating not being very interested but to my surprise the voice of the main character, Evie, was so unique, hip and sassy, I could not put this book down. I blazed through it. Even though she is totally immature, (something to which I can relate) she had a right to be. She didn’t want to grow up. She is a kick-butt character and kind of helpless at the same time. She just wants to be normal (whatever that is.)

Reth is the faerie ex-boyfriend and one of the antagonists, which I still don’t understand what she saw in him, but he had filled a void in her at one time. He was acting so weird; I still don’t know what he was trying to do. I’m hoping there will be more about him in the second book. He was almost three dimensional, but not really. He really could have been developed more. I thought he might be doing good but just acting like a stupid faery.

Then there is Lend. He is a terribly cute and awfully interesting character. I love how he asks one simple question about her that she has no idea about. She hadn’t even thought to ask questions about herself and her status at the Center. He throws her world into chaos. I get why she is attracted to him. I love that he is her connection to normalcy.

***SPOILER ALERT*** (Skip to “Rating” if you don’t want spoilers)

There were a few holes that put a bit of damper on this interesting and action packed story. First of which is kind of important, go with me here… When ACPA found Evie, they banded the nations together and shared her, forming ICPA. So if she was so important in this company. Why is she running around alone? If she is a Level Seven Paranormal, why is she NOT monitored constantly? She should have a microchip if she is that important. And (more importantly) why would they let her just run away in the end? This company was founded on her ability and with her Level Seven ability, they should be enslaving her just like the faeries, vamps and werewolves. Right? The second big hole is: Did the feries (Reth, really) lose Evie somewhere when she was young? Are they really flighty that they would lose a child that would save their faery court? It just didn’t make sense.

RATING:

Being that this book is part of a series, my hope is that all of my questions about the plot will be answered in the second/third book. Sadly these holes play into the rating of this first book. I’m rating this book as a 3: A Good Read. Evie is a super character with how she dresses and how she “bleeping” talks. The paranormal ideas that went into this book were rather interesting too, but the holes left me wanting. The ending was kind of weird and anti climactic. (That’s why I’m anticipating the next book being the antidote for my woes.) Regardless the story should hold its own all on its own.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

This is a pretty good book for preteens up thru high school age. It is pretty clean. There is action but no gore. There is heart throbbing moments but nothing raunchy. I’d let my kids read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.