Steve's Reviews > Mind of My Mind

Mind of My Mind by Octavia E. Butler

Jan 13, 2012

Read from January 23 to 29, 2012

I found Mind of My Mind to be much more mature than Patternmaster, and Butler's growth between the two books is rather apparent. It offers the same depth and emotional power as Patternmaster, but the characters of Mind of My Mind seem much more human, and offers some of the fundamental groundwork that makes for a good prequel. The main character, Mary, is a compelling main character, and even though likable characters are few and far between in this book, the human element was interesting, and the characters got more compelling as time went on. The book focuses a lot more on characters who are hard to like, even when they go through positive character growth. Meanwhile, characters who were likable from the start take rather minor roles in the story, which tended to disappoint me, though I understand why Butler might have made this choice.

However, my main critique of this novel is that there seem to be periods in the story where I feel like Butler is repeating herself a lot, without any particular benefit. It felt as though there were long expanses between the events that had the greatest effect on the plot of the book. Regardless, I never felt as though this was boring, I just kept asking myself why it was included in the book.

Mind of My Mind still manages to be both entertaining, while touching on complex issues such as race, and the moral and ethical implications of qualities like population growth and social class. I found myself comparing the two Butler books I've read in the lens of moral luck, because Butler's writing lends itself to deeper thought in a way that isn't dull or forceful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mind of My Mind.