LJ's Reviews > A Fatal Waltz

A Fatal Waltz by Tasha Alexander

Jul 02, 08

bookshelves: england, female_author, historical, amateur_sleuth, mystery, victorian_1837-1901, austria
Read in June, 2008

A FATAL WALTZ (Hist Mys/Amateur Sleuth-Emily, Lady Aston-England/Austria-Victorian) – G+
Alexander, Tasha – 3rd in series
William Morrow, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780061174223

First Sentence: I had not noticed it when she first arrived: the way she leaned too far towards him as he kissed her hand, the hint of surprised recognition in his eyes.

What begins as a tedious weekend in the country, for Emily, Lady Aston and her fiancé Colin Hargreaves, changes dramatically. The politically powerful Lord Fortescue is murdered and the husband of Emily’s friend, Ivy, is accused of his murder. It is going to depend upon Emily, and a trip to Vienna, to set matters right.

I enjoy this series, but this wasn’t my favorite book of it. My feelings toward it are a series of contrasts. The characters are wonderful, if you’ve read the previous two books, but lacked character development, if you’ve not. I love Emily and Colin. I was disappointed there the delightful supporting characters from the previous books didn’t have a bigger role.

The inclusion of history and historical figures adds verisimilitude. It is always fascinating reading about the social mores of that time and the descriptions are wonderfully done.

I think the biggest problem I had is the same I have with modern amateur sleuths; they just don’t seem plausible to me in some of the things they get away with doing, although Ms. Alexander tries hard to make it work. The first book of this series, “And Only to Deceive,” was so well done, I wonder whether this entry suffers a bit by comparison. Even so, I shall continue with the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fatal Waltz.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Barb I felt the same way about this book. I really enjoyed And Only To Deceive and A Poisoned Season was one of my favorites. But this was not as good as either of those, I was disappointed by the mystery and the story as a whole. I too thought that the character development was really lacking. I hope the next one is better...
And I've gotten nothing but dings on my review for it on Amazon!
Happy Reading
:0)
Barb

message 2: by LJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

LJ Some people become so invested in a series, they lose sight of the quality. Don't let them bother you. That happened to me with a mystery series; I criticized a book most people thought was wonderful. The author, not know all that but having seen my review, wrote to thank me and say he agreed with my criticisms and promised to do better on the next book. He did.

Barb Wow, that's very cool! Thanks for sharing that story! :0)

message 4: by LJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

LJ I try not to worry about what other people think, but just be honest about what I think without criticizing the author, but only the writing of that story.

message 5: by Bee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bee I also felt the same way about this installment in the series.