Isabel O.'s Reviews > American Dervish

American Dervish by Ayad Akhtar

Jan 13, 2012

did not like it
Read in January, 2012

After reading some rave reviews, I was looking forward to getting my hands on this debut novel. Having read it, what I’m reminded of is that it is the book BUSINESS.

Here’s what I like about the book: it’s visually provocative (the author has a film background); it’s a quick and somewhat entertaining read; there are a few beautifully written passages. Basically, it’s the book you take to the beach or read on a flight.

But no big loss if it gets washed away or forgotten in a seat back. It’s not a book that you will want to return to again and again---mostly because it lacks depth and subtlety. The characters are not human people but plot devices. The treatment of Islam is superficial and predictable: anti-Semitism, oppression of women, sexual repression. The tone is didactic and moralistic. There is something inauthentic and promotional feeling about the book. Basically, it feels like a paint-by-numbers book written in order to be controversial and made into a movie, which I reckon is quite likely.

Final thought: This is a fast food novel. Tastes alright, goes down quickly, but promises indigestion, and has little substantive value.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Dervish.

02/15/2016 marked as: read