Andrea's Reviews > The New Kings of Nonfiction

The New Kings of Nonfiction by Ira Glass

Jul 07, 08

Read in July, 2008

I would actually like to give it a 3.5 but rounded up for Ira Glass.

Most of the stories are great, uncovering inconsistent laws related to day trading by a high schooler, an ordinary socialite in extraordinary circles, and a great artist who fell through the large cracks of the establishment of art appreciators. I loved reading about how Monica Lewinsky had to be ushered out of a trendy bar when Chelsea Clinton showed up with her boyfriend, and how Dan Savage fairly successfully infiltrated his Seattle-area Republican caucus to prod the party towards the center while supporting their most conservative candidates, who ultimately help elect Democratic candidates. The day-to-day life, habits, and mentalities of Saddam Hussein were fascinating, and Michael Pollan's piece, also contained within The Omnivore's Dilemma, is one of the most convincing passages to convert one to vegetarianism or small-farm-grass-fed-ism that I've encountered.

Some stories left me bored, though, like the English soccer fans who never seemed known by the author, and real life during WWII. The shock-jock story by David Foster Wallace would have been more interesting had the "asides", which squeeze the story off many pages, not been so ridiculous and unnecessary.

Overall, it affirmed my love of nonfiction and a belief that the most entertaining and outrageous stories are just as likely found out there as in someone's head.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Kings of Nonfiction.