Matt's Reviews > Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter

M_50x66
Jan 23, 12

bookshelves: southern-literature
Read from January 13 to 23, 2012

I enjoyed reading Tom Franklin's story. The characters he created and the descriptions of the places were very memorable. Larry Ott is a complex person that I was able to relate to and feel compassion for in the novel. I was disappointed in the overall plot. If you stack it up against most crime novels/ page turners it falls short. There are no surprises and other than the plot being unfolded through flashbacks it is fairly predictable. There wasn't enough suspense to be a good crime novel. As I read the last line in the book I was disappointed that it was over without a surprise.

I do agree that Franklin created a very well written piece of southern literature. If he could have concentrated more on the minds of his characters. I wanted to know more about Larry's childhood and how he coped with joining the military and becoming an adult. Silas and Larry need a sequel that takes them on a longer journey of self-discovery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter.