Mark's Reviews > Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China

Factory Girls by Leslie T. Chang

Jan 13, 12

Read in January, 2012

Leslie is an American of Chinese decent. She goes to China to write a story about Chinese girls who leave the farm to work in factories (if it isn't obvious from the title). This mass migration of people leaving the farm to go work in factories is creating a whole new dynamic in China that has yet to play it self out. Leslie does a good job of discussing many of the issues associated with this mass migration from a peasants perspective. However I found the book to be a little slow at times and found that she was too timid to be a investigative reporter. Peter Hessler's book from farm to factory is similar except that Peter focuses on the people building and managing the factories. Peter had no fear of people and was much more willing to talk to strangers and ask questions. Leslie seemed too hesitant to reach out to new people or ask hard questions. Hessler used his American status all the time to his advantage where as Leslie tried very hard to avoid letting people know she was an American. In the end I'm glad I read it but found her writing style more like a long Time magazine article rather than a intriguing book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Factory Girls.