Sharon Martin's Reviews > Facing Demons

Facing Demons by Ashley Sanders

Jan 13, 2012

A thought provoking novel which will touch every human emotion possible. You will laugh, cry, feel humility and despair as you read each of the characters individual stories.

When we are faced in our everyday life by people who are high on drugs, very angry or to the other extreme withdrawn, reading this book could change your perception of that person.

The book teaches us that behind every heartache lies a reason and if we took the time to listen and learn the persons story, this could fulfil our lives by being gentle, kind as well as understanding.

As you go through the book each of their stories are revealed in stages, making you think of how you would react to listening to those harrowing stories. The author is very clever with this and brings each feeling to light and as the four main characters listen they realise that through releasing their worries they can really gain strength, especially telling their story to someone who understands.

Our characters - Matthew - The refugee who ends up on the street reveals his harrowing story, will the others understand? - Jason - A gang member or hard boy who cannot take a backward step or this will show weakness, can the tasks set for him change him? - Felicity - Who just wants to be loved but her story is a tragic one, can the others help her to overcome her tragedy? - Rebecca - She has been passed from foster home to foster home, used and abused, can she change her ways? All four characters experience near death experiences which bring them to the retreat.

Four lost souls all want one thing, a family, a sense of belonging. I haven't discussed the characters stories as not wanting to give the reader any pre-conceived ideas. This book has to be read for the reader to make up their own minds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Facing Demons.