Beverly's Reviews > Heaven Preserve Us

Heaven Preserve Us by Cricket McRae

Feb 20, 12

Read from January 13 to 24, 2012

Heaven Preserve Us by Cricket McCrae

Summary: Wine jelly. Watermelon pickles. And a suicidal stalker? Great.

Thirty-something crafter extraordinaire Sophie Mae Reynolds makes preserves by day and answers a crisis center help referral line by night. What better way to help people while still keeping a low profile? But on her very first night, she gets a call from a man who is threatening suicide... and her. Angrily deeming the caller a crank, her boss, Philip Heaven, disconnects the line. Days later, Philip dies from a nasty case of botulism. Now, as a stalker singles out Sophie Mae, Philip's eerie last words keep coming back to haunt her: Threat. Meant it.

Stirring up the town with talk of murder by preserves, can Sophie Mae and her handsome boyfriend Detective Barr Ambrose spoil a mad murderer's poisonous plans?

What I liked about the book: This is just a good solid series. Though I've only read the first two, I enjoyed both of them. I love Sophie Mae. She's a very well developed, strong female character. True, like most cozy mystery detectives she does make some unwise choices that tend to put her in danger, but that is often the nature of the cozy sleuth. I also like that this is a "clean" series. Yes, there's a dead body - it's a mystery. But it's not gory and there is no graphic language. The home crafting tips are an added bonus.

What I didn't like about the book: Can't think of anything. It's a good solid read for cozy mystery lovers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven Preserve Us.

01/13/2012