Lauren's Reviews > Keep It Real: Everything You Need to Know About Researching and Writing Creative Nonfiction

Keep It Real by Lee Gutkind

1291915
Apr 06, 12

bookshelves: writing
Read from April 05 to 06, 2012

While the book contained many useful and informative essays on the craft of creative nonfiction writing, the format was so distracting. Someone thought it would be a good idea (innovative? fun?) way to convey the information by alphabetizing each point - so, essays follow the ABCs. While a host of writers contributed to this book and are mentioned in the appendix, none of their individual works are credited - does this mean that 20+ professors and professional authors ACTUALLY wrote these essays together? Doubt it.

Aside from these issues, I took some good tips away from the book, particularly about style and perspective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keep It Real.

04/06/2012 page 140
84.0% "I finally warmed up to the style in the last 3rd of the book. I like brevity, but this is almost too much."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rebecca Tolley-Stokes Alphabetical arrangement seems lazy to me. My co-editor (who invited me onto the project) Instructed me to arrange essays alphabetically within each section although I had other ideas for presenting the material. It's simply her SOP as she churns out so many edited volumes each year.