Emma's Reviews > Wonder

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Aug 26, 12

bookshelves: emmas-lending-library
Read from March 06 to April 04, 2012

Full review at EmmaMaree.com.

I didn’t think I’d be tearing up at a novel for primary school-aged readers, but this book managed that. August is a warm, lovable character, and a huge Star Wars fan – he starts school with a Jedi braid in his hair, removing it only after this painful exchange with a school bully:
"Who's your favorite character?" Julian asked. I started thinking maybe he wasn't so bad.

"Jango Fett."

"What about Darth Sidious?" he said. "Do you like him?"

Maybe no one got the Darth Sidious thing, and maybe Julian didn't mean anything at all. But in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, Darth Sidious's face gets burned up by Sith lightning and becomes totally deformed. His skin gets all shrivelled up and his whole face just kind of melts.

I peeked at Julian and he was looking at me. Yeah, he knew what he was saying.

This story isn’t just about August, either. Auggie’s friends and family all have roles to play in the story, and each viewpoint has a different voice to match it. Wonder could be used as a textbook for great characterisation – it crafts a fantastic villain in school bully Julian while August’s friends and family are all flawed but loveable.

If you’re into children’s or young adult fiction, do yourself a favour and pick up “Wonder”. It’s a fresh, brave concept in the children’s writing world -- and a great story to boot.

A copy of this book was provided for review by Random House.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colin (new) - added it

Colin Smith This book is on my TBR list. Thanks for the review which confirms that this is a book I need to read soon. :)