Kayt's Reviews > Ice Visions/Íssýnir/Eisvisionen/Visions de glace

Ice Visions/Íssýnir/Eisvisionen/Visions de glace by Klaus Kretzer

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction, first-reads
Read from January 12 to 25, 2012

Reviewing it for what it was: a coffee table book. An amazingly gorgeous coffee table book.

If the author didn't mention in his introduction that this was self-published, I wouldn't have known. It has a very professional look to it, with clean graphics and typography.

In addition to a foreword by the author, the back of the book includes quote attributions, information on the Icelandic glacial lagoon, and a two page spread (for each of the four languages) with information on what the ice is, its particular color, and how the the ice from particular pictures was formed. I particularly enjoyed that last one, because I found myself wondering at the variations in the types of ice I was seeing.

The book is quadrilingual: English is set as the dominant language, but everything has translations into Icelandic, French, and German. I didn't find it bothersome, and for students of any of the other three languages (such as me and German), it can be a fun game to try and decipher the foreign language before reading it in your native tongue.

The early photographs show their age from the mid-nineties: they're not bad, but they lack the sharpness of modern professional photos. Luckily, the latter half of the book makes up for this.

I won a copy of this book through Goodreads' First Reads program.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ice Visions/Íssýnir/Eisvisionen/Visions de glace.

01/12/2012 page 12
10.0% "The online description had me kinda turned off, because it's all "ICE AND FROOFROO MAGIC PSYCHOLOGY" or something, but actually this looks kinda cool."
01/25/2012 page 25
20.0% "Wow. One of the pics has ice floating in water so still it's a perfect mirror. Where is my paintbrush?"