Jason Hough's Reviews > I Love You, Beth Cooper

I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle

Dec 04, 13

Recommended to Jason by: Ken Bibb
Read in July, 2008

This book is all about making you laugh. The story is shallow, as are most of the characters.
While there were probably more moments in this that made me laugh aloud than any book since Hitchhikers Guide, it completely lacked any of the emotional or philosophical satisfaction Hitchhikers brought.
And, in an odd way, it's almost too funny. It's like the author kept going back and trying to make sure every single sentence had a joke in it. In that sense, although there are plenty of extremely funny moments, it's quite exhausting to read. Too many beats, no build-up and payoff.
Another problem I had is that much of the comedy is a result of things being so over-the-top as to lose its basis in reality, which was off putting for something set in a modern day, realistic environment.
So, overall there are laughs-a-plenty, but ultimately I didn't feel satisfied. The frosting on a cake might be delicious, but you want the cake to be good, too.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Love You, Beth Cooper.

message 1: by Nic (new)

Nic Can't wait to read your review. I've been tempted by this one many times.