Courtney Stoker's Reviews > The Striped Ships

Jan 14, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, medieval-or-neo-medieval
Read from January 12 to 13, 2012

I got this book from the library because I love McGraw's The Moorchild, but this book felt not quite as well-done, in part because it seemed to lack a plot. It's about a girl in England in 1066, during the Norman invasion. Her whole life flips upside down after the invasion, from one of privilege and wealth to one of penury and drudgery. And she then gets involved in making the Bayeux tapestry. (Google it, it's apparently famous.)

And...that's it. I spent a good majority of the book thinking, "This is leading up to something, isn't it?" and it just never seemed to get there. The background stuff is interesting, since I don't know much about the tapestry or the invasion, but your book can't just be background. I even liked the main character, but I felt I didn't see her do much, and the main conflict in the story (Normans v. Saxons) didn't really seem to involve her.

All that sounds harsh, because I would still recommend this to someone who wanted to read YA historical fiction. It just wasn't McGraw at her best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Striped Ships.

01/12/2012 page 46