Melissa Jackson's Reviews > Crazy

bookshelves: galley-grab, contemporary, young-adult
Read from January 12 to 13, 2012

Expected release date: June 12th, 2012
Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Connor knows that Izzy will never fall in love with him the way he’s fallen for her. But somehow he’s been let into her crazy, exhilarating world and become her closest confidante. But the closer they get, the more Connor realizes that Izzy’s highs are too high and her lows are too low. And the frenetic energy that makes her shine is starting to push her into a much darker place. As Izzy’s behavior gets increasingly erratic and self-destructive, Connor gets increasingly desperate to stop her from plummeting. He knows he can’t save her from her pain… but what if no one else can?

Connor and Isabel meet over summer at camp, and exchange email addresses at summer’s end. Crazy begins with Connor emailing Izzy--and the majority of the book is made up of their email conversations. I’ve never read an epistolary novel before, so I cannot compare this one to any others, but I think this one was very well done. I got lost in their stories and their fluctuating moods, forgetting at times that this wasn’t structured like a standard novel.

Because Connor and Isabel are so honest with each other (so much so that sometimes the honesty made me squirm!) reading this felt incredibly voyeuristic. Like I had stumbled across a file of very personal information and was unable to look away until I’d devoured every last word. Izzy’s systematic unraveling aided in that as well; it was like seeing a car wreck on the side of the road and being unable to tear your eyes away. Equally invested and horrified by what you’re seeing come undone before you.

While Connor and Izzy’s interactions were initially funny--sometimes hilariously awkward--slowly their conversations turned into something else. I found myself trying to figure out who irritated me more. Connor was too much of a wimp and a pushover, Izzy was too melodramatic and callous. Then I hated Izzy for treating Connor like he was a worthless puppy dog who would happily follow her to the ends of the Earth. Then I was annoyed Connor was a nothing more than a puppy dog who would happily follow her to the ends of the Earth. I never loved them both at the same time!

I knew something bad was going to happen to Izzy. It was hard not to see it coming. But we weren’t sure if Connor would be able to get to her in time. We wondered which of Izzy’s promises and threats were true. We wanted Connor to tell her to stop complaining, to just take hold of her life and fix it. We wanted Connor to save her. We wanted Connor to cut her loose.

We wondered what we would do if we were in Connor’s shoes.

I don’t know anyone who suffers from bi-polar disorder, but I hope all the Isabels in the world who do have a Connor in their corner, someone who does everything in their power to help them, even when they get pushed away. Someone who will fight for them when they’re too weak to fight for themselves.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy.