Bagtree's Reviews > Cryer's Cross

Jan 12, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: ya, horror
Read in January, 2012

The horror elements are, through some kind of witchcraft, simultaneously overwrought and... sort of tacked-on. They had a promising start, no question, but one that needed expanding upon to get actually creepy. The moment it becomes clear that no such expansion is going to occur is the moment it all starts to seem EXTREMELY SILLY.

The prose is competent and the characters believable. Kendall's grief, I think, is handled quite well. Jacián is one of the more convincing attempts at the Rude Jerky Guy Who Actually Isn't Half Bad that I've seen lately - his good side comes out often enough that I didn't have my usual problem of wondering why the hell anyone would put up with this guy. The romance subplot is actually reasonable! Far be it from me to say this book doesn't have its strengths. I simply found the plot more and more difficult to take seriously as it advanced.

Also, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the resolution. (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cryer's Cross.

Stacey Lucky Great review!! Pretty much how I felt about this book also but you did a much better job at explaining it