Mark's Reviews > The Broken Crown

The Broken Crown by Michelle West

4209300
Jan 19, 12

bookshelves: fantasy

The first book in a six-volume series, this took me by surprise and now I can't get enough! This is not the type of book you can skim, because you'll just miss too much. West's prose is detailed, colourful and engrossing. Prepare yourself for a highly satisfying journey into a new world and an epic tale that gets bigger as it unfolds. All the keys of a great fantasy writer are here - depth of history, power-hungry gods and tons of political intrigue in an Empire vying for a war of retribution against their Northern neighbours. The thing that sets this apart is that, while West uses a standard formula, she displays a flare for world-building and convoluted plot lines that should entice any reader looking for something to sink their teeth into.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Broken Crown.

Quotes Mark Liked

Michelle Sagara West
“In youth,' he said, speaking as if from a great distance, 'we believe, and the death of belief forces us to disavow all belief. But that disavowal, time softens, and if we do not believe, we hope. Belief is easier to kill, somehow, and its death easier to bear.”
Michelle Sagara West, The Broken Crown
tags: age, belief

Michelle Sagara West
“The truth was only another mask, even if it was the best fit, the closest to skin and all that lay beneath”
Michelle Sagara West, The Broken Crown