Lena's Reviews > Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea

220791
Oct 13, 08

bookshelves: humor
Read in October, 2008

I picked up this copy of Chelsea Handler’s humor memoir because I thought the title was hilarious. The rest of the book did not disappoint.

Handler is an LA-based stand-up comic who has written a collection of personal essays about random events from her life. In the first piece—in which she convinces her entire grade school that she has been tapped to play Goldie Hawn's daughter in the non-existent Private Benjamin 2—she comes across as so over the top I felt like I was reading more of a written stand-up routine than a series of factual events. But her stories are entertaining enough that I was more than happy to overlook whatever embellishments she may have added along the way.

As one might expect from a stand-up comic, there is plenty of foul language, heavy drinking and frank sex talk in Handler's work, so it's not for the easily offended. There were also a few stories that skirted the line for me of what is actually funny—her self-depreciating stories about things like doing hard time for stealing her sister's ID and being conned by her own mini-me were both fascinating and funny, but there were a few pieces in which the pain that is often lurking underneath the ridiculous overshadowed Handler's ability to make fun of it. Still, there were enough laugh-out-loud moments in this collection that I’m glad I picked it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea.