David Sarkies's Reviews > Fool Moon

May 01, 15

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended to David by: Stewart
Recommended for: People who liked the first book and like werewolves
Read from January 12 to 17, 2012 , read count: 1

Harry Dresden and his werewolf buddies
17 January 2012

Well, when I discovered that this book was about werewolves I simply rolled my eyes and said to myself 'here we go again'. While I find the series interesting, I would hardly call it intellectually stimulating, and really it is pretty much mainstream fiction rather than literature (and I dare anybody to actually call this book literature). The reason that I rolled my eyes is that I generally find books about vampires and werewolves to be so clichéd. To me it has pretty much done to death. Other than Dracula, I have hardly found any book about vampires (and movies for that matter) that I have found entertaining. Even less so for werewolves, so when I discovered that his second book involves werewolves (just as the second episode of the television series involved werewolves) groaned and said 'let's get over with this as quick as possible'.

However, the story was much more interesting that a simple werewolf hunt. At the beginning of the book, Bob, Dresden's friendly ghost of an ancient wizard trapped in a skull, outlines four forms of werewolves, and we pretty quickly discover that Dresden has already encountered three of them, so it pretty much sums it up that the fourth kind is going to be present as well. I would say that it was a little less predictable than the first book, however when Dresden was sent on a wild goose chase to a warehouse inhabited by crazed loonies, I immediately recognised it as a setup, though I did not fully work out who the actual antagonists were until it was finally revealed.

I am currently making my way through some of the Sherlock Holmes stories, so it will be interesting to see how the two mystery novels compare, but then again, Holmes uses deductive reasoning to solve his mysteries, whereas Harry Dresden uses magic. Still, Dresden is a detective (though he does not advertise himself as such) and he specialises in solving supernatural problems. He also has a moral bent (which Sherlock Holmes does not, but more on that elsewhere).

Reading this book I can see that he is creating a story arc which runs across the entire series, though I am unsure how many he is planning on writing. It looks like he has written fourteen books so far, which suggests that he may have written at least two a year (and that is on top of all his other projects). It seems some authors are really churning out books these days, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but then my opinion is that if you wish to write a work of literature, then unlike a mainstream] novel, it will be a labour of love. I really do not see how one could create a literary masterpiece in six months, but then again, people have done it in the past (Arthur Conan Doyle for example).
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fool Moon.