Natalie's Reviews > The Disenchantments

The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour

Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: arc, great-ending, my-bookshelf, ya, travel, summer
Read from January 12 to 15, 2012

The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour was a nice surprise that I wasn't expecting! When I received a copy for review from Razorbill I initially put it aside after reading the synopsis, thinking that it probably wasn't something that I was going to enjoy. Boy was I wrong! The Disenchantments was a heartfelt and emotional read that explored the difficulties of dealing with your family, leaving your friends behind, and ultimately growing up.

When Colby discovers that Bev, his childhood best friend who he is secretly in love with, has abandoned their plan to skip college and tour Europe for a year he is faced with a million questions. Why would Bev leave him behind? And most importantly, what should he do with his life now? As Colby, Bev, and their band travel around the Pacific doing shows, the group discovers that growing up is probably one of the hardest things they will ever have to do.

While I didn't experience anywhere near the amount of problems faced by the characters in this novel when I was their age, the difficulty of growing up was the one thing I could definitely relate to. Everything the characters were feeling about leaving their childhoods behind were emotions that I myself went through when I graduated from high school. Heck, I even get some of those emotions now as I find myself coming to the end of my university career! The emotions that Colby was feeling were so deep that I even found myself getting teary eyed from time to time, especially at the end of the book! I had become so attached to Colby's narration that I found it hard to let him go, which just goes to show what an amazing job Nina LaCour did with the writing of this story!

While I really connected to The Disenchantments on an emotional level, that isn't to say that this book was absolutely perfect. I'm sure some readers might become annoyed by Bev and her cat and mouse game that she plays with Colby, but I think the overall message of the story will overshadow this slight irritation. Overall, The Disenchantments really is the perfect road trip story! The cast of characters that Colby and his friends meet along the way will humour and delight you, especially Melvin and Jasper! I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is currently graduating from high school, or for those who have ever felt some twinge of nostalgia for their teenage years.

4.5 Stars

(PS. Just thinking about this book while I write this review has made me teary eyed again. I told you it made me emotional!!!)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Disenchantments.

Quotes Natalie Liked

Nina LaCour
“I need to leave something behind. Something that will stay. This room should be a historical landmark, the site of the beginning and end of Colby and Bev. Several minutes have passed, and I know that if I wait too long there will be a knock on the door and I'll have to go, but I need to leave a mark. It has to be significant enough to last, but subtle enough that the maid won't notice and wash it away.
As I'm looking around I realize that I never noticed the print above the bed. It's another in the family series - a faded wedding portrait. Groom in tux. Bride with pearls. It comes off the wall easily.I set the print on the bedspread and wit eht dust on the wall with the sleeve of my hood. I take out a Sharpie from my bag. The wall has yellowed to create a perfect rectangle where the photograph must have been hanging, unremoved, for years.
I fill the whiter space with this: I never got to tell you how beautiful you are.
And then I return the frame to its place on the wall and go back out into the night.”
Nina LaCour, The Disenchantments