Melanie's Reviews > Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths Go to Work

Snakes in Suits by Paul Babiak

Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, social-sciences, sociopathy, business, buy-me
Read from February 22 to March 06, 2012

I'm liking it more than Without Conscience, but not as much as The Sociopath Next Door. A book that is heavy with real-life vignettes is way more useful than a more abstract book or a book wherein all the psychopaths are murderous criminals. (I still have a quibble with the psychopath/sociopath semantics, though, and prefer the term sociopath to psychopath.)

There is a lot of human-resources/company management content in this book as well, like how to find a psychopath within your organization or how to catch one during the interview phase.
There seems to be a real need for defensive work skills in the event that you later run into a psychopath after you've been somewhere for awhile. I suppose this might require much more effort than most people are willing to put in. It's kind of a downer, and the cross-book vignette is particularly exasperating (I guess the takeaway is that if a guy is an ass, start documenting stuff immediately and conferring with others, or he'll sabotage you and take your job). Yippee.

An intriguing idea presented here but not fully discussed is the idea that a corporation itself meets the clinical definition of a psychopath with the attachment/manipulation/abandonment phases.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snakes in Suits.

03/02/2012 page 17