Erin's Reviews > Jackdaws

Jackdaws by Ken Follett

Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: historical
Read from January 12 to February 21, 2012

I have to say that, all things considered, I really enjoyed this book. The plot was interesting and never seemed to lag. The characters were interesting, though not entirely well-developed. There were times throughout the novel that it seemed like things were just too easily falling into place, though. This book depicts a group of women who are trained in England as special agents to blow up a telephone exchange in France. Flick, the leader of this rag-tag group of women, has to go out and find each member one by one. And each one she finds has something that she needs. And when she thinks she can't find an engineer, fate leads her to her brother who just happens to know one. And things just seem to fall into place for the German officer attempting to break up the French Resistance. When a radio operator is sent to the telephone exchange to make contact with a secret agent, the Gestapo are waiting for him. But the German official does not want the radio operator to be apprehended, so he pretends to be a member of the resistance, and the radio operator falls for it. I feel like people were very suspicious when suspicion didn't seem warranted, which led to amazing escapes, or else not suspicious when it was clearly obvious they should be. But at the end of the day, I did enjoy the story as a whole and would recommend it to anyone who likes stories with lots of action and anyone who likes stories about WWII.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jackdaws.