Alyson's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: 2012, book-club, fiction, dystopia
Recommended to Alyson by: Annette Ericksen
Recommended for: anyone who enjoys YA
Read in January, 2012, read count: 2

This book is 20% 1984 and 80% Lois Lowry's The Giver, with a thick overlay of The Hunger Games. I like all of those books so this one was pretty well within my I-like-it-parameters, but to say it is brand new and innovative would be false. It takes every aspect of its plot and characterizations from those three books and others. Still, it was well-written and a page-turner, I read the entire thing in about 20 hours and there were large gaps of time in there required for sleep, meal prep, and homeschool. So I pretty much flew through it.

Cassia is an almost perfect analog for Katniss in The Hunger Games, and there were events, moments of discovery, which I thought could be outtakes or missing chapters from Hunger Games—the voice and the situation was that similar. All in all it wasn't quite as well written as THG, but it was definitely in the same vein.

I will say, I'm getting a little tired of the modern YA genre fascination with the love triangle. Yes, it makes things interesting, particularly when both men the heroine is torn between are right for her. I'm just thinking, can we get away from it now? It's been done to death.

Anywho, I'll begin reading book two Crossed before tomorrow's out, so it's definitely worth carrying on with.

SECOND READ, 10 December 2012:
The first time through I watched the events and the plot unfold, and they carried me where they wanted me to go. This time, it's a lot more obvious that The Society is manipulating every event. Why? That part isn't clear. But I wish that Cassia could see it more clearly, so she wouldn't feel guilt/anguish/responsibility over events that The Society set into motion and urged toward completion.

Also, in comparison with the recently read Birthmarked series, this one is MUCH better written and plotted. Being a futuristic dystopia they're not terribly different, but this one is so much more pleasant to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kim (magicsandwiches) Lawyer I felt a lot of these same things! Especially the love triangle bit. Seriously, it's been old for a while, and there aren't very many people who can do it without it seeming ridiculously contrived. I mean, triangles happen, but not to EVERY SINGLE GIRL THAT EVER LIVED.

Alyson Kim (magicsandwiches) wrote: "I felt a lot of these same things! Especially the love triangle bit. Seriously, it's been old for a while, and there aren't very many people who can do it without it seeming ridiculously contrived...."

So true. Most of us struggle to get a single man, let alone have multiples falling, begging, at our feet. I guess that's the ultimate in fantasy, eh? ;)

Good book, but sort of a rehash of lots of other books, given a more 2010s spin.