Ms. Library's Reviews > The Magician King

The Magician King by Lev Grossman

Jan 12, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

Plot: (Spoilers for The Magicians). So, Quentin and company are back in Fillory living like Kings and Queens. Quentin gets antsy, and decides it is time for another adventure. But where does this one take him?

Negatives: So, its still about Quentin, so therefore, the main character is still going to be annoying. Though he grows slightly better in this novel, he is still so full of ennui and arrogance, it can be trying. There’s also the same air of better-than-thou pretension running through the novel, though again, its a little lighter-as if the author is beginning to enjoy himself more, albeit grudgingly. It is still derivative and highly reminiscent of Voyage of the Dawn Treader and other sea-voyaging books. He also steals some ideas from other places like Mainspring.

Positives: I really was curious about Julia, and I liked that Grossman took this opportunity to explore her story more. I found I really looked forward to those parts, and I think that’s where his storytelling excelled. I also thought the tone of this one was a bit better, and he managed to make Quentin a bit more likable. Overall, I thought this was a lot better than the first, and definitely less derivative. Though parts of it annoyed me, I enjoyed reading this book, whereas I didn’t find any pleasure in the first.

Recommend: I would give this a shot. If its not your thing, I would move on to Narnia or Harry Potter. If you’re looking for more gritty fantasy, maybe Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire is for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician King.

message 1: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph I am in love with this cover so it's a shame that I probably won't continue the series.

Ms. Library This one wasn't as bad. Maybe you can read a summary of the first and try this one and see if you like it better? Eh, maybe you should just read Narnia.

message 3: by Minh (new)

Minh Whoa, whoa, whoa!! Quentin was more...LIKEABLE? I'll give this book a whirl. Just to see how he redeemed Quentin.