Vern Whitt's Reviews > Sapphique

Sapphique by Catherine Fisher

Jan 12, 12

Read in December, 2011

It's often difficult, in my mind, for a book to be as good, or maybe even better than the first. However, I think Sapphique nears that achievement. Catherine Fisher is an articulate and talented storyteller. In this day of copycat, manufactured literature (especially this genre), I feel as though storytellers are rare and writers are plentiful.

The story of Finn, Claudia, Keiro, and Attia matures well, and twists in some ways that I did not predict. Overall, one of the things that I enjoy most about this story (Incareron included) is that it is not predictable.

FIscher does dystopian without you knowing it. In fact, so many other YA dystopian series are only carried by the intrigue of the 'world' as the author sees it. In Hunger Games, or the Maze Runner series, you are drawn in the 'state' or condition of the world that is crafted by the authors. However, that can only take you so far.

Sapphique as well as Incarceron, are parts of a true story. I've felt more invested in these main characters then I have of many in YA novels. Once you get into the 'meat' of a book (series) I believe it has to be upheld by the composition of the story and the investment in the characters. At times, the way Fischer build's character identity reminds me of Lowry and the Giver.

I've been recommending this series to all my friends who enjoy this pseudo fantasy (YA) genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sapphique.