Josie's Reviews > The Sherwood Ring

The Sherwood Ring by Elizabeth Marie Pope

May 08, 12

bookshelves: absolute-favourites, young-adult, historical, horror-supernatural, books-i-own
Read from March 24 to April 20, 2012

Whoever it was who highly recommended this book on Amazon's Listmania, THANK YOU! I loved this book and immediately went out and specially ordered my own copy after I'd finished the library's, because I knew I'd be reading it again and again. This book would probably be billed as a YA fantasy because of the 'ghosts' in it, but it's really more like historical fiction - with a twist. Three of Peggy's ancestors appear to her at various times and tell her their stories, all of which take place during the American War of Independence, and all intertwine. Interspersed with these is Peggy's own story and romance whilst she tries, with the information provided by the ancestor's stories, to uncover a mystery in her family's past that concerns the uncle she is now living with.
Three great romances and the unbelievably drool-worthy character of the witty, ingenious and clever Peaceable Sherwood make this overlooked novel from the fifties a must-read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sherwood Ring.

Quotes Josie Liked

Elizabeth Marie Pope
“A gentleman can hardly continue to sit,' he explained, in his serenest and most level voice, 'when he asks a very remarkable young lady to do him the honor of marrying him. And - 'he somehow contrived to grin at me wickedly, 'I usually get what I want, Miss Grahame,' he added, and pitched over in a tangled heap on the floor.”

Elizabeth Marie Pope
“Put him in there and chain him up," he ordered curtly. "Yes, that chain, you fool - do you see any other chain in that cell? Peaceable Sherwood? I'm tired of hearing about Peaceable Sherwood! Turn him loose in the cell for the night. - Which one of you said 'Where'll he be by morning?' Where does he look like he's going to be by morning, I ask you - a hundred and fifty miles away?"
I was, to be exact, only seven and a half miles away by morning...”

Elizabeth Marie Pope
“How did you ever happen to remember that I might be hungry? But of course you would. Will you mind very much if I run myself into serious difficulties now and again after we are married, just for the pleasure of seeing you rise to the occasion?”