Brandi's Reviews > The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Feb 16, 2016

bookshelves: favorites, desert-island, quotable, a-nice-mild-roast-coffee, venti
Read from January 27 to March 12, 2012

Jan. 11th, 2016 edit

I just realized I still haven't finished this review. *facepalm*

Guess that should be my New Year's resolution haha

~~~

My First Advice: Get the edition of the book that I've shelved. Trust me, you will NOT find a better edition out there. It's value-priced but extremely durable and it doesn't bend or tear when you read it. That's awesome for a 1100-page book.

And there's more coming soon... ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of the Rings.

01/28/2012 page 21
01/28/2012 page 51
4.0% ""Frodo sat silent and motionless. Fear seemed to stretch out a vast hand, like a dark cloud rising in the East and looming up to engulf him. 'This ring!' he stammered. 'How, how on earth.did it come to me?'""
01/29/2012 page 54
4.0% ""' The Ring went into the shadows with him, and even the maker, when his power had begun to grow again, could learn nothing of it.'""
02/01/2012 page 111
9.0% ""There was sky above them, blue and clear to their surprise, for down under the Forest-roof they had not been able to see the rising morning and the lifting of the mist.""
02/03/2012 page 133
10.0% ""Then Tom put the Ring round the end of his little finger and held it up to the candlelight. For a moment the hobbits noticed nothing strange about this. Then they gasped. There was no sign of Tom disappearing!""
02/04/2012 page 156
12.0% ""Pippin roused a good deal of laughter with an account of the collapse of the roof of the Town Hole in Michel Delving: Will Whitfoot, the Mayor, and the fastest hobbit in the Westfarthing, had been buried in chalk, and came out like a floured dumpling.""
02/04/2012 page 156
12.0% ""All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.""
02/04/2012 page 170
13.0% ""All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.""
02/06/2012 page 232
18.0% ""To his distress and amazement he found that he was no longer looking at Bilbo; a shadow seemed to have fallen between them, and through it he found himself eyeing a little wrinkled creature with a hungry face and bony groping hands.""
02/07/2012 page 270
21.0% ""'I will take the ring,' he said, 'though I do not know the way.'""
02/07/2012 page 274
21.0% ""But low in the South one start shone red. Every night, as the Moon waned again, it shone brighter and brighter. Frodo could see it from his window, deep in the heavens, burning like a watchful eye that glared above the trees on the brink of the valley.""
02/07/2012 page 278
22.0% ""I sit beside the fire and think [br] of how the world will be [br] when winter comes without a spring[br] that I shall ever see.""
02/07/2012 page 279
22.0% ""I sit beside the fire and think[br] of people long ago,[br] and people who will see a world[br] that I shall never knew.""
02/07/2012 page 281
22.0% ""'Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens,' said Gimli.
'Maybe,' said Elrond, 'but let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the nightfall.'""
02/13/2012 page 317
25.0% ""'But still the sunken stars appear
In dark and windless Mirrormere;
There lies his crown in water deep,
Till Durin wakes again from sleep.'""
02/13/2012 page 326
25.0% "Sorry, I just realized how many typos I have in my updates. I've been using my smartphone to update my reading progress. The Swype keyboard is great, but it doesn't always agree with me about word choice. I'll pay more attention to my posts from now on."
02/19/2012 page 392
31.0% ""Upon great pedestals founded in the deep waters stood two great kings of stone... Great power and majesty they still wore, the silent wardens of a long-vanished kingdom.""
02/20/2012 page 459
36.0% ""Far over the Great River, and the Brown Lands, leagues upon grey leagues away, the Dawn came, red as flame.... The Riders of Rohan sprang suddenly to life.""
02/20/2012 page 468
36.0% ""Elves began it, of course, waking trees up and teaching them to speak and learning their tree-talk.... But then the Great Darkness came, and they passed away over the Sea, or fled into far valleys, and hid themselves, and made songs about days that would never come again. Never again.""
02/20/2012 page 478
37.0% "Treebeard, on page 477: "'For many years we used to go out every now and again and look for the Entwives... But it is foreboded that [we will only meet] when we have both lost all that we now have.'""
02/23/2012 page 500
39.0% ""'A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong.'""
02/26/2012 page 511
40.0% ""'Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil's sword save Elendil's heir.'""
02/27/2012 page 533
41.0% ""... and the men of the Mark amazed looked out, as it seemed to them, upon a great field of dark corn, tossed by a tempest of war, and every ear glinted with barbed light.""
03/01/2012 page 586
46.0% ""'Strange it may seem,' said Legolas; 'but while Gimli lives I shall not come to Fangorn alone.'""
03/01/2012 page 601
47.0% "Reached part four (the second half of the second book)."
03/02/2012 page 615
48.0% ""'For now that I see him, I do pity him.'""
03/02/2012 page 628
49.0% ""'There was a great battle long ago, yes, so they told him when Sméagol was young, when I was young before the Precious came. It was a great battle. Tall Men with long swords, and terrible Elves, and Orcses shrieking. They fought on the plain for days and months at the Black Gates. But the Marshes have grown since then, swallowed up the graves; always creeping, creeping.'""
03/04/2012 page 644
50.0% ""And here he was a little halfling from the Shire... expected to find a way where the great ones could not go, or dared not go.... But he had taken it on himself in his own sitting-room in the far-off spring of another year, so remote now that it was like a chapter in a story of the world's youth, when the Trees of Silver and Gold were still in bloom.""
03/05/2012 page 718
56.0% "284 days until The Hobbit movie comes out in theaters!"
03/05/2012 page 721
56.0% ""Then Frodo's heart flamed within him... Then holding the star aloft and the bright sword advanced, Frodo, hobbit of the Shire, walked steadily down to meet the eyes.""
03/05/2012 page 730
57.0% ""And with that he staggered to his feet and was Samwise the hobbit, Hamfast's son, again.
'Now come, you filth!' he cried.""
03/05/2012 page 731
57.0% ""And suddenly he saw that he was in the picture that was revealed to him in the mirror of Galadriel...""
03/05/2012 page 745
58.0% "Reached the final part, book five."
03/05/2012 page 753
59.0% ""... but in the midst, drooping over the pool, stood a dead tree, and the falling drops dripped sadly from its barren and broken branches back into the clear water.""
03/12/2012 page 961
75.0% ""And so Merry was sent to Faramir... and Faramir learned much, more even than Merry put into words; and he thought that he understood now something of the grief and unrest of Eowyn of Rohan.... But in the morning... he saw her... And he called to her, and she came down, and they walked on the grass or sat under the green together, now in silence, now in speech.""
03/12/2012 page 978
76.0% ""Legolas repaid his promise to Gimli and went with him to the Glittering Caves [of Helm's Deep]; and when they returned he was silent, and would say only that Gimli alone could find fit words to speak of them. 'And never before has a Dwarf claimed a victory over an Elf in a contest of words,' said he. 'Now therefore let us go to Fangorn and set the score right!'""
show 19 hidden updates…