Kaitlin's Reviews > Drums of Autumn

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon

Jan 12, 12

I love this series. I feel that the first book, Outlander, is, of course, the best, but so far the others in the series haven't been lacking. I just finished Drums of Autumn and have now moved on to The Fiery Cross. Great story, great detail, great characters, interesting read. I only have two complaints: overdone sections and Brianna.

First, Gabaldon is sometimes a little TOO detailed, making for extremely long books, which can be a turn-off. She risks losing the readers' attention and interest when she gets on a tangent about the landscape and such.

The second complaint I have is Brianna. Her behavior in Drums of Autumn is that of a spoiled little brat, and, though I haven't read The Fiery Cross yet, I've heard it only gets worse. How Claire and Jamie can allow Brianna to act and speak to them like she does is beyond my understanding. My parents would never have allowed such an attitude from me, and I would never allow it from my own children. She is disrespectful, cold, selfish, bad-tempered, throws tantrums like a child, and is just down right rude. And yet, no other character does anything about it.

I very much dislike this character. While I enjoy the role she plays as Jamie's long-lost daughter, I do not like how she is portrayed. I think Gabaldon could have made a much more likable character. I even contemplated not finishing the series due to how much I don't like Brianna. I hope she does not ruin The Fiery Cross for me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drums of Autumn.