Edna's Reviews > Saving Francesca

Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta

Jan 13, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, contemporary, young-adult
Read from January 12 to 13, 2012

I admit that for a good chunk of this book I had planned to give it 3 stars. I liked it, but I wasn't connecting. Then there was a shift where the group of six (Francesca, Justine, Tara, Siobhan, Thomas, and Jimmy—sorry not you, Will) became friends, true friends. They are all so different and crazy yet they fit (Breakfast Club, anyone?). The friendships didn't feel contrived, they felt genuine and realistic. I loved these characters individually. I loved them even more when they interacted. There was such fun bantering and bickering, but then there were those touching emotional moments as well.

Francesca's broken family, that's a tough one. I'm going to be completely honest: I wasn't interested in her mother. And it's the main premise, so that obviously was a slight problem. Now with her father, I think my poor heart went through the ringer. The intense scenes toward the end.

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority but I disliked the romance. Francesca and Will had their moments, but for the most part, I couldn't exactly understand why they liked each other...or more like why did she like him? I don't know. Maybe I didn't get invested because all I wanted were those group moments. Ha.

This was a quiet book and if you appreciate that type of style, the little moments and raw emotions, this is the one to read.

Now am I clueless or what? I didn't really pick up on much between (view spoiler). At least not until Francesca mentions the crush. I'm on board, though, and I AM EXCITED TO READ THE PIPER'S SON! Love me some Thomas Mackee. I read the description and it's totally my kind of book. I'm already itching to visit this gang of friends again. Crossing my fingers that Jimmy Hallier will get his own novel (or have a happy ending in TPS), because I adore the guy, too. So much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Francesca.

Katie Yeah, I wasn't really into the romance at all. I was actually kind of shipping Francesca/Jimmy, OOPS! :)

But the friendships are AMAZING. I think that's a real strength of Marchetta's writing. So far I've only been really sold on one of her romantic relationships (in Jellicoe Road), but I'm always way into her friendships.

Although I still need to read The Piper's Son! (It's also New Adult!!!)

Edna Glad to know I'm not alone on that. I shipped Francesca with Jimmy too! Sometimes with Thomas. Haha. I can't help it, she had way more chemistry with them than Will.

And YES, I agree.

I KNOW!!! I cannot contain my excitement! And it's not just fresh-out-of-HS New Adult, but in-their-20's New Adult. Oh, joy!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so glad you liked this Edna Lyn :) I cant wait to see what you think of The Piper's Son!

message 4: by Edna (last edited Jan 14, 2012 04:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Edna I started it earlier, Kate, and I'm liking it. I just want to give Thomas Tom Mackee a hug!