jenjn79's Reviews > To Catch A Thief

To Catch A Thief by Christina Skye

Apr 05, 09

bookshelves: author-christina-skye, 2009, info-full, reviewed, genre-romance-fiction, published-2008, stars-3
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Read in April, 2009

Rating: 3.5 / 5

This was a fairly good book. I didn't really love it, but it wasn't hard to get through. I think it was a pretty typical book from author Christina Skye.

To Catch A Thief is connected to two of Skye's series: SEAL/Codename and Draycott Abbey. Neither series aspect is a huge part of the story, but they are still there. This book could probably be read as a standalone...the enhanced SEAL thing might be a little confusing, but there's nothing storyline wise that requires reading previous books.

Nell MacInnes is an art restorer who loves mountain climbing of any kind. It's her escape from emotional demons that haunt her. Her father was a big time art thief who spent years in prison. The horrors of what happened have never left her mind. But now her father is out and he swears he is done with that life.

Unfortunately, her father is being forced to help in the theft of a very rare da Vinci sketch. If he wants his daughter not to be hurt, he has to help. The theft catches the governments eye because they believe the money from the sale of the stolen art will be used to fund terrorist. Dakota Smith, of the Foxfire SEAL team, (and Izzy Teague) are sent to trail and investigate Nell, believing both she and her father are involved. Once its clear Nell is not involved, they enlist her help in figuring out what her father is up to and to help Dakota learn to free-climb. Nell and Dakota fight their attraction to each other, both more accustomed to fighting their emotions, but they can't hold off for long. First, though, they must deal with the mission at hand.

Usually I have a lot to say about a book when I finish it, but I'm drawing a bit of a blank on what to write. There wasn't anything I hated about this book, or even just disliked. But there also wasn't really anything that I loved or liked a lot. It was just pretty good, above average low intensity romantic suspense.

The Draycott Abbey connection was nicely done and fit well with the story. I will admit that I am not a big fan of Skye's "enhanced" SEAL storyline - where a special group of SEALs was scientifically altered to have enhanced senses and stuff like that. To me, it's rather silly and weird. I liked the older SEAL books better when the SEALs were just regular men. So Dakota's special eyesight wasn't something that particularly worked for me.

Otherwise, was readable and pretty interesting. I liked the characters, the romance could have been a bit better, and the storyline was decent enough, but I didn't find anything about the book to be all that memorable. I think readers of these two series, though, will like the book, thought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Catch A Thief.

04/04/2009 page 222
59.68% "Pretty good so far. Romance is very slow building, though."

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user I'll be interested to know what you think of this one, Isis. I've been thinking of picking her up for some time now. :)

message 2: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz Ya I'll be looking for your review too Isis. This one's been sitting on TBR since it came out 8-)

jenjn79 Mine too, East. Even though I've been focusing on catching up on recent releases, this one was near the bottom of the pile. I'll likely be getting to it sometime in the next two weeks.

message 4: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz Good to know you don't have to go through the whole Draycott series to understand this one--a lot of those are OOP.

jenjn79 Eastofoz wrote: "Good to know you don't have to go through the whole Draycott series to understand this one--a lot of those are OOP."

I think the Draycott books are in the process of being reissued. But I think with a few basic facts you can read this one with no problems.

One thing would just be to know about the enhanced SEAL thing. Which is that there is a special SEAL team that has microchips embedded in them to give them special skills...enhanced sight, or other senses. They're super secret and under the control of special government branch. It's kinda weird. But the hero in this book is one of those SEALs.

The other is some basic stuff about Draycott abbey...it's haunted by one of the Draycott ancestors and a gray cat. Lots of rich history.