Amanda's Reviews > Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

Jan 12, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in January, 2012

I really liked this book, which is good because I was worried I'd be disappointed. I listened to the audiobook (something I wish I had done with Tina Fey's "Bossypants"), which I highly recommend you do. I think that books like this deserve to be read by the author, because they are their stories and are best heard in their voice. Mindy is hilarious and awesome. I got what I wanted: silly stories about being a ridiculous girl, stories of her college days, stories about The Office, and much more. If she published more, I'd read it.

Quotes I liked...

“Teenage girls, please don’t worry about being super popular in high school, or being the best actress in high school, or the best athlete. Not only do people not care about any of that the second you graduate, but when you get older, if you reference your successes in high school too much, it actually makes you look kind of pitiful, like some babbling old Tennessee Williams character with nothing else going on in her current life. What I’ve noticed is that almost no one who was a big star in high school is also big star later in life. For us overlooked kids, it’s so wonderfully fair.”

"The chorus of “Jack and Diane” is: Oh yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone. Are you kidding me? The thrill of living was high school? Come on, Mr. Cougar Mellencamp. Get a life.”

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?.

Quotes Amanda Liked

Mindy Kaling
Mindy Kaling, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Mindy Kaling
“The chorus of “Jack and Diane” is: Oh yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone. Are you kidding me? The thrill of living was high school? Come on, Mr. Cougar Mellencamp. Get a life.”
Mindy Kaling, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?